Maitreya | Thursday, August 26, 2010 | Labels: SEO
As any one reading this must be aware of the term SEO so am not getting into explaining what it is and to get into how it works (algorithm and all) is out of scope of this article. Here I am just writing down some tricks and tips which will surely help you in SEO.
1. Domain name selection must be done cleverly. It is advised to select .com domain as they are the most popular in market. Free domain name does not get visitors as visitors tend to not take them seriously. And Google takes website with registered for longer periods more seriously according to its algorithm. Low quality and spam websites are generally registered for a lower period of time. Domain name with keywords are considered good but it’s not an option if the website is about a company or organization. In any case company websites do not intend to earn money from advertising. There sole intention is to be visible to potential clients and earn credibility via Page rank. If you are on a shared server, do blacklists check to be sure you’re not on a proxy with a spammer or banned site. Their negative notoriety could affect your own rankings.
2. <title> tags are the first thing a search engines read so make sure it describes the page in the best possible way. It is suggested to keep it within 80 words. Do not repeat keywords and the variation across the website should be in the first few words not the last.
3. A Meta description is used by search engines to index pages so they should be accurate and descriptive.
4. Content is the king. High quality content rich with evenly distributed keywords is must. The content should be sticky so that the visitor spends more time browsing around. Search engines know the time spent in the website which helps in improving ranking. The keyword density should be around 3-7% for primary keywords and 1-2% for secondary keywords. Images with text should be avoided where possible. Putting keyword in the first line of content is a good idea. Keyword stemming (i.e. using digging when keyword is dig or dogs when keyword is dog) is a cool way to make content interesting while increasing keyword density as search engines can recognize stemmed keywords. Short pages help in increasing keyword density. Optimizing 2-3 keywords per page is enough.
5. Site navigation should be simple for the bots to move around. Do not use links in flash as bots cannot access them. And every page should have a link to the homepage. A great method to get this is using breadcrumbs. Make sure internal links to homepage link to http://www.domain.com instead of http://www.domain.com/index.html. The later happens if you link to index.html in href. Make sure every page has at least one link to the home as described.
6. Try to use keywords for anchor texts for links where possible. Make sure it makes sense in context to the website.
7. Inbound/incoming/back links obviously helps. Inbound link from a reputed (high ranked) site is considered more important by search engines. The anchor texts of the inbound links should preferably have keywords instead of saying here or Read more. Links from similar content sites are considered good but it’s not possible most of the time due to competition. Inbound links from review sites are good as they are sites with similar contents (keywords) and can guide visitors along with bots. Links from .edu and .gov are reputed.
8. Design wisely. As said before navigation should be easy and using breadcrumbs to link home page with each page is considered good. Using a theme (similar page layout) is considered better by search engines. A sitemap is must. The urls should be SEO friendly. It should preferably have keyword and must not have space. Underscore (_) is generally considered part of the word so using hyphen (-) to separate word is advised. Example:- http://www.infosys.com/sustainability/diversity/Pages/cultural-diversity-day-2010.aspx
Interlinking is good in moderation and should not be overdone. Use link checker to avoid broken links.
9. Create XML and Google sitemaps and put them in your web folder which contains the index.
10. Use 301 http redirects for permanent redirect and 302 for temporary ones. Avoid Meta refresh.